Popular Resources

Financial Aid


Frequently Asked Questions


How do I get financial aid? Back to Top

You must be accepted into an eligible program and submit a FAFSA application. Click here for more instructions. After you receive a financial aid award, you will need to follow the instructions here to activate your aid.


How do I get aid for the summer? Back to Top

You must be enrolled at least half-time (5 credits for pharmacy students, 6 credits for all other students) for the summer and and half-time for the fall semesters (unless you are graduating in the summer or will not be enrolled for the fall for other reasons).You must submit a Summer Aid Application form in addition to your FAFSA. Click here for more information. 


What is verification? Why was I selected? Why do I have to send you extra paperwork? Back to Top

Some students are selected for a review process called verification. The U.S. Department of Education selects students for verification using certain criteria. Schools are required to collect specific information and/or documents. The school must then review the documents to verify the accuracy of your FAFSA. This process must be completed before aid can be confirmed and released.


I got my award notification and I don’t understand it. Back to Top

Helpful information is available on our website, but if you have questions, please contact our office.


How can I use my financial aid to pay for books? Back to Top

You may be eligible for a book advance (for the fall and spring semesters only) if you don’t owe the university any money from a prior semester and have more than enough financial aid to cover the costs for the current semester. Please review our book advance policy here.


Can I get more financial aid? Back to Top

You should contact your financial aid counselor to see if there are any other options that you have available.


Are there any other scholarships or grants available? Back to Top

Review the information in the scholarship and grant sections of our website. Contact the office if you have questions.


Do I qualify for Federal Work Study? Back to Top

If federal work study is not listed among your awards, you may not have qualified for it or funds may not have been available at the time of awarding. Please contact our office if you would like to be placed on the waiting list.


When will my financial aid be disbursed? Back to Top

Please refer to the estimated disbursement schedule.


How soon will I get my refund check? Back to Top

The Business Office mails refund checks to students within two weeks after a credit balance is created on the student’s account (from the disbursement of financial aid funds).



The semester started a few weeks ago. Why haven’t I gotten my refund check? Back to Top

Your financial aid will disburse only after you have established half-time enrollment (5 credits for pharmacy students, 6 credits for all other students). For example, if one 3 credit class begins early in the semester, but your second 3 credit class does not begin until later, the funds will not be released until the second class has begun. Then it takes about two weeks for a refund check to be mailed.


I have a question about my bill. Back to Top

You may find the answer on the frequently asked billing questions section of our website. You may also contact the Business Office at 410-532-5440.


Why can’t you talk to me about my daughter’s financial aid? Back to Top

We are required by law to enforce FERPA requirements which state that we can only disclose information to the student unless written consent has been provided by the student to share information with someone else. The Authorization to Release Information (FERPA) form is available on the Registrar's web page.


What is the difference between Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans? Back to Top

The government pays the interest on subsidized loans while the student is enrolled at least half-time and during periods of deferment. The student is responsible for all interest that accumulates on unsubsidized loans.


How can I decrease or increase my loans? Back to Top

Complete and submit a Loan Cancellation or Decrease Request form.


How can I defer my loans while I’m in school? Back to Top

The school will automatically report your enrollment to the National Clearinghouse which provides information to all loan servicers. You should monitor the status of your loans with your loan servicer. If necessary, the Registrar’s Office can complete an enrollment verification form for you.


I will be graduating soon. What do I need to do about my loans? Back to Top

Graduating students are required to complete online Exit Counseling

You will be notified by your loan servicer of upcoming payments. For Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans, there is a 6 month grace period after you cease half-time enrollment before repayment begins. For Perkins loans, the grace period is 9 months. There are various repayment plans available which your servicer can assist you with. Review the debt management information on our website.


Can you give me a printout of my entire loan history? Back to Top

You can access your own loan history at NSLDS. Choose the “Financial Aid Review” option. You will need to sign in using the same pin # that is used for the FAFSA.


I am an international student; what financial aid am I eligible to receive? Back to Top

Federal and state financial aid is not available to international students. However, limited institutional scholarships are available as well as external scholarships and private/alternative student loans.


Our family's financial situation is not accurately reflected on the FAFSA. What are our options? Back to Top

The FAFSA collects tax information from the prior year.If your family has experienced a significant change in income, we encourage you to speak your financial aid counselor. If the counselor finds that the revision to your family's income could change the Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) resulting in additional financial aid eligibility, then you will be advised to complete a Professional Judgment Appeal form


Will my financial aid be affected if I drop a class after the semester has started? Back to Top

Your financial aid could be reduced or cancelled if you drop classes prior to the census date. To ensure aid eligibility is not lost, students should initiate participation and remain enrolled in their classes. Any time your enrollment changes, we will reevaluate your financial aid which could result in a bill. For more details, please review our dropping courses and withdrawals policy. We also recommend that you speak to your financial aid counselor before you decide to drop a class.


What happens to my financial aid if I live off-campus next year? Back to Top

This question only pertains to Women's College and School of Pharmacy students. 

Your Cost of Attendance includes a housing allowance based on your status as a resident or commuter. When your status changes, your cost of attendance is updated and your aid is adjusted accordingly. To see how your aid would be affected, check with your financial aid counselor.


What do I need to do to accept the loans that have been offered? Back to Top

Please review the instructions on the appropriate loan page of our website for detailed information.


What if the PLUS loan is denied? Back to Top

Visit our website for PLUS loan denial options.


We don't have our taxes done, but the FAFSA deadline is approaching. What should we do? Back to Top

The FAFSA can be completed with estimated tax information in order to meet Notre Dame's priority deadline of February 15. After your taxes are completed, you should use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) within the FAFSA to update your tax information. If you are ineligible to use the IRS DRT, you must update the information manually on the FAFSA after your taxes are submitted.