Popular Resources
Department: Engineering



Our integrated dual-degree program enables you to broaden your knowledge of the liberal arts and sciences, and develop professional experience in engineering.


Through Notre Dame's innovative five-year dual-degree program, qualified students can earn both a Bachelor of Arts from Notre Dame and a Bachelor of Science at one of three of the nation's top engineering schools: 

  • the Whiting School of Engineering at The Johns Hopkins University,
  • the A. James Clark School of Engineering at the University of Maryland or
  • the Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science at Columbia University.

Graduates of the program have positions with organizations such as Loral Space & Communications, the Peace Corps, Lockheed Martin, U.S. Naval Research Laboratories, CSX Corporation, Whiting-Turner Contracting Company, the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, National Aeronautics and Space Administration and the Aberdeen Test Center.

Students in the program will be admitted initially by Notre Dame, where they typically will spend three years fulfilling general education requirements and completing advanced work in a major for the bachelor of arts degree, such as chemistry, computer science, mathematics or physics. Each student then will complete an additional two years at Johns Hopkins, the University of Maryland or Columbia University, completing the requirements for a bachelor of science degree in one of the following disciplines:

  • Aerospace engineering is concerned with the physical understanding, analysis and design of aerospace vehicles operating within and above the atmosphere (University of Maryland).
  • Biomedical engineering encompasses the application of engineering principles to medical and biological problems (The Johns Hopkins University; University of Maryland, which has a biomedical emphasis within the Biological Resources Engineering major; or at Columbia University).
  • Chemical engineering relies upon the laws of chemistry, physics and mathematics to change the constitution of substances via chemical processes.
  • Chemical engineers develop processes, design equipment, operate plants and guide applications and work in the chemical, petroleum, metallurgy, plastics and pharmaceutical industries (The Johns Hopkins University, University of Maryland or Columbia University).
  • Civil engineering reflects the breadth of the engineering disciplines in the planning and designing of the nation’s buildings, bridges, transportation systems and environmental programs (The Johns Hopkins University, University of Maryland or Columbia University).
  • Electrical and computer engineering includes the fields of communications, control systems, electronics and digital systems (The Johns Hopkins University, University of Maryland or Columbia University).
  • Materials science and engineering is concerned with the characterization and manipulation of structure, properties, performance, processing and production of all materials (The Johns Hopkins University, University of  Maryland or Columbia University).
  • Mechanical engineering deals with the concerns of energy through useful mechanical devices (The Johns Hopkins University, University of Maryland or Columbia University).
  • Nuclear engineering accentuates the practical use of nuclear energy from nuclear fission, fusion and radioisotope sources (University of  Maryland).

When the Bachelor of Science is awarded from the engineering department, the Bachelor of Arts from Notre Dame will also be granted. If a student attends the University of Maryland, it is possible to receive a Bachelor of Arts from Notre Dame in four years if you are able to complete the chosen Notre Dame major in that amount of time. Please see the program coordinator for details on this option.

Students who wish to pursue a dual-degree will make a preliminary application during their first year of study at Notre Dame. Because of its proximity to Notre Dame’s campus, a student may take some courses at Hopkins during her sophomore and junior years. Transfer students planning to pursue the dual degree in engineering should clearly indicate that on the application form. Questions about eligibility for the program should be directed to the program coordinator.